Available Chinchillas & Critters
SUPER SUMMER SALE!!
We did quite well finding homes for the fluffballs in July... so this sale will continue through the end of August!
Lots of chins on our waiting list to come in... so the current fluffballs need to find their homes! Therefore...
Chinchillas priced at $75 -- $10 off
Chinchillas $100-175 -- $25 off
Chinchillas $200+ -- $50 off
Please note, our multi-chin discount does not apply while this sale is going on.
Chinchillas must be adopted or have a deposit down by August 31st to qualify for the sale.
We have MANY more chins than what are listed below -- please contact us, let us know what you're looking for, or even set up an appointment to come see them all!
We do take credit cards! Unfortunately, we cannot accept VISA gift cards or American Express cards at this time.
Yes, we can ship chinchillas to a major airport near you in the USA! Contact for more info! Also, see our Shipping Info page for more info -- here
- Electra (8-10 year old standard grey) & Cinder (1 year old dark ebony) -- female pair of chinchillas -- fostered in Streeterville, Chicago -- NOW $125!!
- Tikii -- 5.5 year old hetero beige male chinchilla -- dob approx. June 2011 -- NOW $75!!
- CCCU D582 -- 2.5 year old homo beige male chinchilla -- proven breeder -- dob 9/8/14 -- NOW $150!!
- Momo (9 year old hetero beige) & Asia (11 year old standard grey) -- previously known as Josephine & Storm -- female pair of chinchillas -- dob April 2008 & April 2006 -- (see upcoming chins section) -- NOW $100!!
- 4 month old dark ebony male chinchilla kit (baby) -- fur chewer -- dob approx. 1/7/17 -- (see upcoming chins section) -- NOW $150!!
- Gloria (dark ebony MALE) & Henry (standard grey male) -- 3 year old male pair of chinchillas -- dob approx. 4/2013 -- (see upcoming chins section) -- NOW $150!!
- MNWI H33A -- 3 month old standard grey male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob 4/7/17 -- (info coming soon) -- NOW $110!!
- Georgie -- 3-4 year old standard grey male chinchilla -- dob 9/1/13 -- (info coming soon) -- NOW $65!!
- Luna & Leona -- ____ year old pair of standard grey female chinchillas -- dob approx. _______ -- (info coming soon) -- NOW $125!!
- "Fluffy" -- hetero beige female, unknown age (best guess -- 3-5 years) -- (info coming soon) -- NOW $75!!
- MNWI H33 -- ____ month old dark ebony curly male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob _______________ -- (info coming soon) -- NOW $300!!
- 3 month old white mosaic male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 4/7/17 -- (info coming soon) -- NOW $150!!
- Jumi -- 3-5 year old standard grey female chinchilla -- dob 2012-2014 -- (info coming soon) -- NOW $65!!
- Mari -- 3-5 year old standard grey female chinchilla -- dob 2012-2014 -- (info coming soon) -- NOW $65!!
- MJ -- 1.5 year old hetero beige female chinchilla -- dob 11/22/2015 -- (info coming soon) -- NOW $75!!
- Kayto -- _____ year old medium dark ebony male chinchilla -- dob approx. __________ -- (info coming soon)
- Rigby -- 1.5 year old standard grey male chinchilla -- dob approx. Feb. 2016 -- (info coming soon) -- NOW $65!!
- MNWI H45 -- 2-3 month medium ebony female chinchilla -- dob 5/22/17 -- (info coming soon) -- NOW $150!!
- L.A. -- 3-4 year old ______________ female chinchilla -- retired breeder -- (info coming soon) -- NOW $75!!
- MNWI H23 -- 5 month old standard grey male chinchilla -- dob 3/5/17 -- (info coming soon) -- NOW $110!!
- Ziggy -- 7 year old Rex male (buck) rabbit -- dob approx. 2010
- baby guinea pig -- texel male -- dob 7/1/17 -- on hold for Muncie Children's Museum w/ deposit
- baby guinea pig -- American male -- dob 7/24/17 -- on hold for Muncie Children's Museum w/ deposit
- Murphy aka Murph-town -- _____ year old black self American male guinea pig -- dob approx. _____ -- (info coming soon)
- Hamilton aka Ham-bone -- _____ year old black & white American male guinea pig -- dob approx. _______ -- (info coming soon)
- 10 year old hetero beige female chinchilla -- culled breeder -- dob 2007 -- available soon
- 3 year old black velvet female chinchilla -- *terrified* -- culled breeder -- dob 2014 -- available soon
- 5R9 B1933 -- Ace -- 4.5 year old standard grey male -- proven breeder -- dob 8/14/12 -- available soon
- MNWI H39 -- 3 month old white ebony female chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob 4/17/17 -- available soon
- 4 month old pink white male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 4/1/17 -- available soon
- 3.5 month old pink white female chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 4/15/17 -- available soon
- 8 week old extreme mosaic male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 6/8/17 -- available soon
- 5 month old extreme mosaic female chinchilla -- dob approx. 3/1/17 -- available soon
- 4 month old extreme pink white male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 4/1/17 -- available soon
- Ash -- ____ year old standard grey male chinchilla -- dob approx. ___________ -- available soon
- MNWI H44 --2-3 month old standard grey male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob 5/20/17 -- available soon
- MNWI H35 -- 2-3 month old dark ebony curly / locken male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob 4/12/17 -- available soon
- MNWI H43 -- ____ month old standard grey male DWARF chinchilla -- dob _________ -- no health guarantee -- available soon
- MACR 02 -- 4 year old medium / dark ebony female chinchilla -- retired breeder -- dob 2013 -- pregnancy watch -- available after 8/10
- Savannah -- 3.5 year old dark ebony female chinchilla -- retired breeder -- dob 10/27/13 -- pregnancy watch -- available after 8/10
- Prissy -- 3-4 year old white mosaic female chinchilla -- retired breeder -- dob 2013-2014 -- pregnancy watch -- available after 9/20
--these animals may/may not be again up for adoption in the future; if interested, please contact--
- none at this time
Unsure If a Chinchilla Is The Pet For You? Try It Out For A Week!
Please note: due to one person taking off with our stuff and vanishing off the face of the earth, trial runs are on hold for the moment, most likely permanently. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Want to see what it would be like to have a chinchilla as a pet? Unsure if you might be allergic? Try our "trial run" program. In this program, you get to take home a chinchilla, complete with cage and all needed supplies, for a week, in exchange for a $50 deposit and a copy of your drivers' license. In order to participate, we simply ask that you sign a form acknowledging that you do not own the chinchilla/supplies, and that the chinchilla & supplies will be returned at the end of the week. If you do not decide to adopt the chinchilla, your $50 deposit is returned. If you do decide to adopt, the deposit can be applied to the chinchilla adoption fee. If you would like to participate in this program, please let us know.
Need a Cage or Supplies to Go With Your Chinchilla (Or Other Pet)?
Explanation of Terms
Kit -- this is the term for a baby chinchilla. Same as how we call baby dogs, puppies.
Dob -- date of birth. When the chinchilla was born.
-- a chinchilla that was used as a breeder at a different location
(usually a large chinchilla ranch) where, when culled (removed from
breeding), chinchillas are put down.
Retired breeder -- a chinchilla used as a breeder here. Our retired breeders are not put down, but rather, all go to pet homes.
Up and Coming Chinchillas!
Gloria (dark ebony MALE) & Henry (standard grey male) -- 3 year old male pair of chinchillas -- dob approx. 4/2013
Gloria is the dark ebony MALE, Henry is the standard grey male.
Very curious boys. Both will come right up to the front of the cage. Henry is the more talkative of the two, but they're both pretty sweet. Gloria is the more outgoing and curious of the two. Henry is the more energetic chin, while Gloria is a bit more laid back. When being held, Gloria does better with being held, and isn’t quite as active, though they both are definitely more on the active side. Once you have them in your arms, you’ll see that they are curious boys and enjoy climbing all over you and checking out everything they can reach! They enjoy scratches behind their ears, from time to time! Very sweet boys, would probably be a blast during playtime! Do not bite.
These boys are bonded, so they can only be adopted out together.
Adoption Fee -- $175
SUPER SUMMER SALE!! ADOPT US NOW FOR $150!!
Momo (9 year old hetero beige) & Asia (11 year old standard grey) -- pair of female chinchillas
These sweet girls are up for adoption and are looking for a nice retirement home! Still active and fun chins! More info and pics to come soon!
Adoption Fee -- $125
SUPER SUMMER SALE!! Now adopt us for $100!
4 month old dark ebony male chinchilla kit (baby) -- fur chewer -- dob 1/7/17
Sweet boy. He wants to check out his surroundings when you put him in a new place. Not too bad trying to catch him, but he can be a little squirmy until you are supporting him well. Once you're holding him, he settles down a bit. He is more of an active boy though, and he may well enjoy playtime when he’s old enough. He is always on the go and wanting to explore! Super sweet, doesn’t bite.
Chinchilla (and Other Critter) Listings!
2.5 Year Old Homo Beige Male Chinchilla -- Proven Breeder -- CCCU D582
We have a 2.5 year old homo beige male chinchilla who’s looking for his new home. This chinchilla is one of our retired breeders. No actual reason to retire him, he still produces well, we just are re-arranging our herd, so now he’s available to someone else!
This male never got an official name, his ranch brand and identification is CCCU D582. He is a homo beige male born 9/8/14. We got him to add to our beige lines, at the time when we were expanding, and I believe he had been shown.
This male chin is a homo beige, which is the lighter of the two beige colors in chinchillas. As a homo beige, he has two beige genes, and therefore, has to throw beige babies, if paired with a standard female. With us, he bred well, very prolifically, but we are cutting back on beiges, so now he’s available to someone else.
He is more of an energetic boy, so he might very well be fun for playtime, as I bet he’d be bouncing around and exploring everything. When I went to take pics of him, he kept coming up to me and climbing on my hands an camera, so he definitely is a social butterfly, and not afraid of people. He’d probably climb all over you for playtime. He does just fine with being handled and petted, though as he is more on the energetic side, not for super long periods of time. Sweet boy, doesn’t bite.
He can come with his pedigree, if desired.
He would make a good “first chinchilla” for someone who’s never had one before, as long as they understand that he’s not a lap cat (well, no chins are), and he’s more on the energetic side.
This chinchilla is currently caged alone, and we do not know how he would do with other same-sex chinchillas. If you are interested in pairing him up with your, or one of our, chinchillas, let us know and we’ll see what we can do. However, we make no guarantees that any two chinchillas will get along.
The fee for CCCU D582 is $200
SUPER SUMMER SALE!! ADOPT ME NOW FOR $150!!
7 Year Old Male (Buck) Rex Rabbit -- "Ziggy"
We have a
male rabbit looking for his retirement home. His name is Ziggy. Ziggy is an approximately
7 year old male rabbit, he was born around 2010. He is believed to be a Rex rabbit, but as he
is a rescue, we have no way to be absolutely positive as far as his breed. He was dropped off to the rescue when his
owner was no longer able to care for him, and is now available for adoption.
Ziggy is agouti (brown and black) in color, and has white around his cheeks, eyes, and ears, and feet. Ziggy is a good sized rabbit and is believed to be around 5 pounds. Ziggy has never bitten anyone.
Ziggy is eating MannaPro Pro rabbit pellets, as well as hay. He enjoys his greens and veggies.
Ziggy is NOT neutered.
As Ziggy is a senior rabbit, he will not come with a health guarantee. This said, Ziggy appears to be in good health. He needs a loving retirement home that can spoil him for the rest of his days.
Please note: Ziggy is not fond of dogs, so his out-of-cage time should be spent away from any dogs that the family owns, so as to not stress him out.
Regardless of past rabbit experience, all potential homes will be asked to read our rabbit care packet and fill out our adoption form. If you are unwilling to do this, please do not waste our time or yours. No rabbit will go to a new home without an adoption application being filled out - no exceptions.
Ziggy is being fostered in Cedar Lake, Indiana, and interested adopters will need to be able to travel to the foster’s home to adopt. If you are unable to do this, please check out rabbits elsewhere, as we are unable to have rabbits at our normal rescue location due to city ordinances.
Please note: if you live in Hammond, Indiana, you will be unable to adopt, as rabbits are illegal to own in Hammond. Please note also that this rabbit is not at our location in Hammond, but is being fostered in Cedar Lake, Indiana.
The adoption fee for Ziggy is $25
5.5 Year Old Hetero Beige Male Chinchilla -- "Tikii"
We have a hetero beige male chinchilla that is looking for his new home. He came to NWI a few months ago, and we have down that he was born around June 2011, making him right about 5.5 years old. Perfect age to add him to your family! His name is Tikii.
Tikii is more of a chin for an intermediate experience chin owner. He's been active boy and loves his flying saucer. Due to his energy level and the way he acts when out of the cage, we're going to require that his new home have a metal flying saucer and bring it to adoption with them (to show us they really do have one, as they are expensive). Tikii is an energetic boy and we have no doubt that he will do great at playtime. However… he can be a little bit intimidating. He tends to stand up on his hind legs, and turn his head toward your hand when you reach for him. He will also bark and make noises at you. He has never bitten us, so this is all bark and no bite, but it could be intimidating towards a new chin owner. Tikii actually seems to enjoy having his head pet through the cage bars. He really likes sitting at the front of the cage and looking out, so he’d probably enjoy a high traffic area where he can be part of the hustle and bustle of family life. Even when we put him in the cage for pictures, he came right to the front and stayed there, surveying his kingdom. And of course, trying to get past us so he could explore, hence, we think he’d just love you to death if you gave him playtime. He actually is pretty sweet when you’re holding him. Does just fine with being handled and petted, just can be a tad bit intimidating towards a new chin owner, so better suited to someone with experience. Doesn’t bite.
See the video to see him run.
Flying saucer available -- standard size needed -- http://www.flyingsaucerwheels.com/products.php?cat=17 -- $74.95 + shipping
Please note: we can hear this wheel upstairs sometimes when he runs on it. He runs quite vigorously, and no matter what sort of cage you have the wheel in, it will not be 100% silent. Light sleepers, you may want to look for a different family addition...
Tikii’s color is called hetero beige, which is the darker of the two beige colors in chinchillas. It is a beigeish / brown color over his back, with a white belly.
This chinchilla is currently living alone, and we do not know if he gets along with other chinchillas. If you are curious as to whether he might get along with your, or one of our, chinchillas, let us know and we’ll see what we can do.
The adoption fee for Tikii is $100
SUPER SUMMER SALE!! ADOPT ME NOW FOR $75!!
Pair of Female Chinchillas -- "Electra" & "Cinder"
Please note: Electra & Cinder are being fostered in Streeterville, Chicago. They will be adopted out from their foster home's location. Anyone interested in adopting this pair of girls will get to talk to their foster mom, prior to meeting them, and will need to drive out to that location for their adoption.
We have a pair of female
chinchillas looking for their new home. These girls are named Electra
and Cinder. Electra is an 8-10 year old standard grey female
chinchilla, and Cinder is a 1 year old extra dark ebony female. We have
in our notes that Electra was likely born around 2006-2008, and that
Cinder was born around April 2015.
Being a standard grey female chinchilla, Electra is a salt and pepper grey over the top of her body, with a white belly. Cinder, being an extra dark ebony, is a solid black chinchilla, including her belly, which is also black.
These girls are more chins for an advanced home, or for an adopter who is not easily intimidated by chinchillas and, more specifically, by spraying. While neither chinchilla is mean and neither has actually ever bitten anyone, they have an interesting pair dynamic. Both can be very talkative when you reach into their cage, and neither is afraid to spray you.
Electra is the older of the two, and she can sometimes get a bit protective over Cinder. You sometimes need to bribe Electra to get her to move, to get to Cinder. They both will take treats out of your hand and can be bribed. They both LOVE their fleece tubes and can often be found sitting in them. Especially when they're in their tubes (but also at other times), they seem to enjoy being petted through the bars of the cage. It's simply when you actually reach in the cage and go to catch them, that's when they get defensive and may spray.
Once you get them out of the cage and actually into your arms, perhaps surprisingly, both are reasonably nice chins! Electra is the calmer one, while Cinder is the more active one, though this makes sense considering their ages.
Neither chin has ever bitten. Both have sprayed, multiple times, so that's always a possibility with these girls, but that's more of an annoying habit than anything -- it's not like it hurts to get sprayed. They're not aggressive, just very defensive.
These two would do well in a cage where they could be let out for playtime, in a way that doesn't necessarily involve having to pick them up. In my mind, I picture a cage lower to the ground (maybe a one level ferret nation on the stand), with a wooden ramp to the ground, so the chins could let themselves in and out of the cage on their own (during playtime only of course), with a playpen set up around the cage. We think they would do well with playtime and would really enjoy it, but as far as catching these girls and actually letting them out, that itself seems like it stresses them out and likely will continue to do so, unless you're able to devote a lot of time to working with them and hopefully turning these behaviors around.
girls are more of a "look and don't touch" type of chinchillas. If you
want chinchillas and just think they're fun to watch, these girls might
be the chins for you. They won't bother you if you're feeding or
watering them, or adjusting things in their cage, you can even nudge
them out of the way gently, if needed, it's only when you go to actually
catch them that they start getting defensive. Oh and of course, if you
put some fleece tubes in their cage near the front of the cage, they'll
go in there and you can scratch them through the cage, and still
interact with them and hand them treats, without actually handling them
all that much. They just need that sort of special home, and we're sure
it's out there somewhere!
These girls are a pair and can only go to their new home together. Please do not contact us asking to adopt only one of them. They are bonded chinchillas and will be staying together.
Sorry, but these chinchillas will NOT be coming with our typical health guarantee, as Electra is a senior and both of these girls are very defensive.
The adoption fee for Electra & Cinder is $150
SUPER SUMMER SALE!! ADOPT US NOW FOR $125!!
If you are looking for guinea pigs, Wheeker's Guinea Pig Rescue, located in Porter County, IN, almost always has some for adoption. Contact:
Degus & Other Small Animals
If you are looking to adopt degus, Heartland Small Animal Rescue, located near South Bend, IN, typically has some up for adoption. They also may have guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters, and other small animals up for adoption. Contact:
Chinchillas & Critters ON HOLD
Baby Guinea Pig -- dob 7/1/17
Please note: this guinea pig is on hold for the Muncie Children's Museum w/ deposit
We have three baby guinea pigs that
are looking for their new homes! These
current guinea pig remaining is the one male. They were born on 7/1, which makes them 5
weeks old! Perfect time to take them
home and make them part of your family! They’re still super small and can pretty much fit in the palm of your
The male is a black and white roan Teddy guinea pig. All of these guinea pigs have lived with other guinea pigs in the past, and have done great with their buddies, so maybe they’d be a great buddy for you lonely guinea pig!
These guinea pigs have been handled (and well fed) since birth, by their original owner, before they came to us. They love their veggies and go to town every time they get some new greens to munch on. They absolutely devour their hay and think it’s the best thing ever.
Any of these guinea pigs would make a great “first guinea pig” for someone who’s never had guinea pigs before, as long as they’re planning to devote time to working with them to continue to ensure that they will enjoy being handled as they get older. As it is right now, they’re your typical guinea pig – they will move away from you when you reach in the cage, but are super sweet and do well with handling and petting, when you actually are holding them in your hands.
Each guinea pig will come with some food to start you out (2 pounds of Oxbow Cavy Cuisine pellets), and a printed out version of our care packet. The guinea pig will also come with a lifetime of help and support, should you ever need it. If more supplies are needed, we also sell a variety of supplies, from cages to hidey houses / igloos to the pelleted food, hay, toys, and everything in between.
Regardless of past guinea pig experience, all potential homes will be asked to read our guinea pig care packet and fill out our guinea pig adoption form. If you are unwilling to do this, please do not waste our time or yours. No guinea pig will go to a new home without an adoption form being filled out - no exceptions.
These guinea pigs are located in Hammond, Indiana (zip code 46324). Sorry, we do not ship guinea pigs.
The adoption fee for the Texel male guinea pig is $45
Please note: this guinea pig is on hold for the Muncie Children's Museum w/ deposit