Available Chinchillas & Critters
We do take credit cards! Unfortunately, we cannot accept VISA gift cards or American Express cards at this time.
Yes, we can ship chinchillas to a major airport near you in the USA! Contact for more info! Also, see our Shipping Info page for more info -- here
- Momo (formerly Josephine) -- 9 year old hetero beige female chinchilla -- dob April 2008 -- fostered in Island Lake, IL
- 10 year old hetero beige female chinchilla -- tear duct issue / allergies -- culled breeder -- dob 2007
- Ash -- 3.5 year old standard grey male chinchilla -- dob approx. 7/2014
- Chili Mac -- 4-5 year old standard grey female chinchilla -- needs experienced home -- dob 2012-2013
- 6 month old violet female chinchilla -- dob approx. 6/15/17
- "Fluffy" -- hetero beige female, unknown age (best guess -- 3-5 years) -- (info coming soon)
- Henry & Sweet Pea -- 9-10 year old neutered hetero beige male & standard grey female bonded chinchilla pair -- dob approx. 2007-2008 -- (info coming soon)
- 3 month old pink white female chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 9/7/17 -- (info coming soon)
- Jersey -- 3.5 year old homo beige female chinchilla -- fur chewer -- retired breeder -- dob 8/17/14 -- (info coming soon)
- 4 month old tan male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 8/22/17 -- (info coming soon)
- MNWI H74 -- 2 month old white ebony curly (locken) carrier male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob 9/30/17 -- pedigreed -- (info coming soon)
- 1.5 year old sapphire male chinchilla -- dob approx. 7/18/16 -- (info coming soon)
- 7 year old standard grey male chinchilla -- culled breeder -- dob 12/2010 -- (info coming soon)
- 1.5 year old hetero beige male chinchilla -- dob 7/20/16 -- (info coming soon)
- 2 year old white mosaic male chinchilla -- dob 12/2015 -- (info coming soon)
- 2 year old standard grey female chinchilla #2 -- culled breeder -- dob 12/2015 -- (info coming soon)
- 7 year old dark ebony female chinchilla -- culled breeder -- dob 12/2010 -- (info coming soon)
- 6 year old standard grey male chinchilla -- culled breeder -- dob approx. 12/2011 -- (info coming soon)
- 5 year old HUGE standard grey female chinchilla -- culled breeder -- dob 12/2012 -- (info coming soon)
- MNWI H75 -- 2 month old hetero beige female chinchilla -- likely DWARF (no health guarantee) -- dob 10/1/17 -- (info coming soon)
- MNWI H80 -- 2 month old medium tan female chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob 10/8/17 -- (info coming soon)
- 3 month old silver mosaic male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 9/16/17 -- (info coming soon)
- 3.5 month old white mosaic female chinchilla kit (baby) #2 -- dob approx. 9/1/17 -- (info coming soon)
- 3.5 month old white mosaic female chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 9/15/17 -- (info coming soon)
- 3.5 month old dark ebony female chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 9/15/17 -- (info coming soon)
- 8 month old white mosaic female chinchilla -- dob approx. 5/19/17 -- (info coming soon)
- 3.5 month old sapphire male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 9/15/17 -- (info coming soon)
- 3.5 month old black velvet male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 9/15/17 -- (info coming soon)
- 4 month old standard grey male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 8/28/17 -- (info coming soon)
- 3 month old TOV ebony male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 10/1/17 -- (info coming soon)
- 4 month old pink white male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 9/1/17 -- (info coming soon)
- 4 month old white mosaic male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 9/8/17 -- (info coming soon)
- Crested geckos -- 1 year - 3 years -- check our our Crested Gecko Adoption Page
- 1 year old Rex / New Zealand Mix Rabbits -- 3 males -- 1 solid red, 1 short-hair white w/ red spots, 1 medium-hair white w/ red spots -- dob 12/24/16 -- fostered in Lowell, IN
- MNWI H71 -- 2 month old white mosaic male chinchilla kit (baby) -- fur chewer -- dob 9/25/17 -- available soon
- Ursula -- 2 year old hetero beige female chinchilla -- needs QUIET home -- dob approx. Nov. 2015 -- available soon
- Wife & Daughter -- mom & daughter pair (3 & 5 years) chinchillas -- homo beige & pink white -- available soon
- Freddy -- 6 year old standard grey female chinchilla -- comes with decked out Feisty Ferret Cage -- dob approx. 2011 -- available soon
- MNWI H73 -- 2 month old white ebony curly (locken) male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob 9/30/17 -- available soon
- Henry & Scar -- ____ year old male pair of chinchillas -- dob ________ -- available soon
- 11 month old standard grey male chinchilla -- missing one front paw -- dob approx. 1/18/17 -- available soon
- 3-5 year old dark ebony female chinchilla -- culled breeder -- dob 2013-2015 -- available soon
- Shake & Bake -- pair of adult standard grey males (3+ years old) -- dob approx. 2013 or before -- available approx. 1/7/2018
- 4 month pink white male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 9/20/17 -- available soon
- 4 month dark ebony male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 9/9/17 -- available soon
--these animals may/may not be again up for adoption in the future; if interested, please contact--
- Hamilton aka Ham-Bone -- 1 year old black & white American male guinea pig -- dob approx. 10/2016 (on hold for Chris)
Unsure If a Chinchilla Is The Pet For You? Try It Out For A Week!
Please note: due to one person taking off with our stuff and vanishing off the face of the earth, trial runs are on hold for the moment, most likely permanently. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Want to see what it would be like to have a chinchilla as a pet? Unsure if you might be allergic? Try our "trial run" program. In this program, you get to take home a chinchilla, complete with cage and all needed supplies, for a week, in exchange for a $50 deposit and a copy of your drivers' license. In order to participate, we simply ask that you sign a form acknowledging that you do not own the chinchilla/supplies, and that the chinchilla & supplies will be returned at the end of the week. If you do not decide to adopt the chinchilla, your $50 deposit is returned. If you do decide to adopt, the deposit can be applied to the chinchilla adoption fee. If you would like to participate in this program, please let us know.
Need a Cage or Supplies to Go With Your Chinchilla (Or Other Pet)?
Explanation of Terms
Kit -- this is the term for a baby chinchilla. Same as how we call baby dogs, puppies.
Dob -- date of birth. When the chinchilla was born.
-- a chinchilla that was used as a breeder at a different location
(usually a large chinchilla ranch) where, when culled (removed from
breeding), chinchillas are put down.
Retired breeder -- a chinchilla used as a breeder here. Our retired breeders are not put down, but rather, all go to pet homes.
Up and Coming Chinchillas!
Adult Hetero Beige Female Chinchilla -- "Fluffy"
***info coming soon***
2 Year Old Hetero Beige Female Chinchilla -- needs QUIET home with no young kids -- "Ursula"
***info coming soon***
Adoption fee -- $100
2 Month Old White Ebony Curly (Locken) Carrier Male Chinchilla Kit (Baby) -- MNWI H74
***info coming soon***
3 Month Old Pink White Female Chinchilla Kit (Baby)
***info coming soon***
Adoption fee -- $200
Chinchilla (and Other Critter) Listings!
1 Year Old Male Rex / New Zealand Mix Rabbits
We have 3
buck (male) rabbits up for adoption. These
rabbits came into the rescue last spring, when they were only a few months old,
when an owner had an oops litter and surrendered the baby bunnies to the rescue. All 14 buns were adopted out, but
unfortunately, the home that adopted these three has had a change in circumstance,
and has been unable to care for them any longer, and now they are back at the
rescue and are looking for their new forever home!
These buns were born 12/24/16, so they have just turned 1 year old. They are thought to be a mix of Rex and New Zealand rabbits, and are approx. 5-7 pounds. The three that we have right now are males. We currently have one solid red rabbit and two that are white with red spots (one medium-haired and one short-haired).
These rabbits are handled routinely at their foster home, and are very sweet. If they are free-roaming in the house, they are very curious and will come up to you, but may move away if you move too fast and startle them. They are super sweet and playful! None of them have ever bitten. These boys do well with having their nails trimmed.
Not all three get along, but if you are looking for a pair, you do have some options: both white males get along, and the short-haired white male gets along with the red male. Basically, the medium-haired white does NOT get along with the red one, and those two cannot be adopted out together.
These rabbits are NOT neutered.
These rabbits NOT litter box trained.
If interested in adopting, you will be asked to read our rabbit care packet, and fill out our rabbit adoption form. No rabbits will go to their new homes without these things being done - no exceptions!
PLEASE NOTE: Because rabbits are illegal to own in Hammond (where the rescue is located), these rabbits are fostered in Lowell, Indiana. Please note that if you live in Hammond, we are sorry, but you will be unable to adopt one of these rabbits. Also, please note, that when adopting, you will need to drive to Lowell, which is where the adoption will take place.
The adoption fee for each of these rabbits is $35, or adopt a pair for $60
short-haired white w/ red spots male:
medium-haired white w/ red spots male:
solid red male:
6 Month Old Violet Female Chinchilla
We have a violet female chinchilla who’s looking for her new home. She came to NWI just a bit ago, and is now ready to leave and go to a family of her own.
She was born around 6/15/2016, making her right around 6 months old. Her color is called violet, which is a purplish grey color that is over her back, and then of course she has a white belly. Very pretty color, not something you see all the time.
This girl is super sweet. She can be a little bouncy around the cage at times when you go to get her out, but once you have her in your arms, she is a total doll. We love her to death, and are actually kind of surprised that she’s still here! She’s curious and outgoing. She does well with being handled and petted, and doesn’t bite.
She would make a great “first chinchilla” for someone who’s never had one before.
This chinchilla is currently caged alone. However, if you interested in pairing her up with your, or one of our, chinchillas, let us know and we’ll see what we can do.
The adoption fee for this violet female chinchilla is $250
4-5 Year Old Standard Grey Female Chinchilla -- needs experienced home -- "Chili Mac"
We have a standard grey female chinchilla that is looking for her new home. Her name is Chili Mac. Chili Mac came to the rescue in March 2017, and is now ready to find a home of her own!
Her previous owner brought her in, due to less than ideal circumstances. Originally, their brother adopted Chili Mac from someone who was so allergic to her that he’d break out in hives. When the brother got her, he couldn’t keep the chin either, so his sister took her. Unfortunately, the sister was unable to take Chili Mac with her when she moved, and due to her traveling a lot with work, here she is!
Chili Mac is reported to be around 4-5 years old, and we have an approx. date of birth as 2012-2013. Chili Mac is a standard grey female, which means she is a salt-and-pepper grey color on her back and over much of her body, with a white belly.
Chili Mac can be a handful at times, and will require an experienced chinchilla owner. She prefers a nice hiding spot, so her new home MUST have a house or other hideaway for her to go in, when she needs to feel more secure. You sure don’t want to reach for her when she’s hiding, as she won’t think twice about spraying you. She does have a softer side though, as we’ve found out that she loves to get scritches! Scratch her on the side of her head / neck / ear area and she will turn her head and love it! However, she’s not a fan of being picked up and held, and she can be defensive if you move faster than her pace. We’re sure she’s a nice chinchilla under it all… she just needs a patient, experienced home to help her work through all of this. She has never bitten anyone.
The adoption fee for Chili Mac is $75
3.5 Year Old Standard Grey Male Chinchilla -- "Ash"
We have a standard grey male chinchilla who’s looking for his new home. He came to NWI awhile ago, and would have gone home already, but unfortunately, we had a few no-shows, and so he’s still here. That’s ok though, that means YOU can take him home. Ash was born around July 2014, which makes him about 3.5 years old.
Ash is a standard grey, which means he’s a greyish salt-and-pepper color over his back, with a white belly. This is the “classic” color in chinchillas.
He is a super sweet boy. He can be shy, and likes to hang out near the back of his cage, but when you have him out, he does just fine with being handled and petted. He’ll get bursts of energy from time to time, and might enjoy playtime (or maybe not… you can find out!). He does enjoy checking out the area around him. He doesn’t bite.
He would make a great “first chinchilla” for someone who’s never had one before.
This chinchilla is currently caged alone. However, if you interested in pairing him up with your, or one of our, chinchillas, let us know and we’ll see what we can do.
The adoption fee for
this standard grey male chinchilla, Ash, is $75
9 Year Old Hetero Beige Senior Female Chinchilla -- "Momo"
Please note: Momo is being fostered in Island Lake, IL. She can be adopted from her foster home (if the adopter is close) or she can be brought back to the rescue for adoption. Please allow a few days to schedule an appointment.
This sweet girl is up for adoption and is looking for a nice retirement home! Momo is a 9 year old hetero beige female chinchilla. She originally came into the rescue a few years ago with a buddy, as Josephine & Storm, and were adopted and renamed Momo (beige) and Asia (standard). Unfortunately, their adoptive home was unable to keep them any longer, and they have come back to us. Momo & Asia went to a foster home in Fall 2017, and unfortunately, Asia, being about 12 years old at the time, passed away shortly after. This leaves Momo still chilling at the foster home, waiting for her forever home to come along!
Momo's foster home tells us that she doesn't mind being picked up, as long as it's only for a short period of time. If she doesn't want to be picked up, she'll go sit at the top of the cage. Momo LOVES to be at the very top of her cage, so a multi-level cage for her is a must. No retirement-style-guinea-pig-type-cages for this girl! She loves her chew toys, and of course her dust bath. "Momo is chilled back, relaxed, if you put your hand on a ledge, she will come out of the cage and crawl on your arm for a second and then run back in the cage, and then do it a few more times."
Momo is the hetero beige chin, she was born in April 2008, making her 9 years old. While she is a senior, she is still active and fun! As a seniors, she will not come with a health guarantee.
Momo is an occasional fur chewer, on and off, both here and at her previous adoptive home.
Adoption Fee -- $75
10 Year Old Hetero Beige Female Chinchilla -- tear duct issues / allergies -- culled breeder
This female is currently being sponsored until January 13th by Carrie K.! Contact us if you'd like to sponsor a chin!
This girl is a talkative one at times. She came to us from a ranch where she wasn't breeding -- she is a culled breeder. She was born in 2007, which makes her 10 years old! She is energetic and wants to check everything out. Not necessarily content to sit in your arms, she wants to see the world! Anticipate playtime with this one, she has energy to spare!
She has a tear duct issue / allergies and has runny eyes. Eye infections and teeth have been ruled out... she just has watery eyes. Does not affect her daily life.
Sweet girl, just energetic. Has never bitten, though, we haven't really held her all that much, as she's more the playtime-type of chin, versus the holding-type. Just needs a nice retirement home where she can have playtime. Due to her age, no health guarantee.
Adoption fee -- $75
Have you heard about the crested geckos that we got in, but haven't seen them anywhere? Well, now they have their own page! With 20 of them (and more coming after that), we didn't want to clutter this page with a million gecko pics... check them out here!
Some pics below, waaaay more on the gecko page. Contact as usual (contact form, [email protected], 219-789-0026) if you want to adopt a gecko. Gecko kits (housing and setup) available as well.
Degus & Other Small Animals
If you are looking to adopt degus, Heartland Small Animal Rescue, located near South Bend, IN, typically has some up for adoption. They also may have guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters, and other small animals up for adoption. Contact:
Chinchillas & Critters ON HOLD
1 Year Old Black & White American Male Guinea Pig -- "Hamilton" aka "Ham-Bone"
Please note: Hamilton is on hold for Chris
We have a male guinea pig looking for his forever home. His name is Hamilton, also known as Ham-bone. He was born around October 2016, which just makes him 1 year old as of last month. Hamilton is a gorgeous black and white American male guinea pig. We just love his markings – so pretty!
Hamilton is a sweet guinea pig. He does just fine with being handled, and is actually super sweet when you have him in your arms… but you have to catch him first! He’s a quick one, and it may take some time to earn his trust, but rest assured, veggies and leafy greens will sure help you with that! Once you’ve got him in your arms, he will sit pretty nicely and chill with you. Though, like any guinea pig, he can be a bit skittish when you go to get him out of his cage. He doesn’t bite.
He just loves his leafy greens, carrots, and veggies, and eats them up like no tomorrow. Hay and pellets as well – this guy eats just about anything you give him!
This guinea pig is currently housed alone, and we don’t know if he gets along with other guinea pigs.
Hamilton’s adoption fee is $25
Please note: Hamilton is on hold for Chris